Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hold the salt, please!

I was never a person that was all about booze.  Now, don’t get me wrong or misunderstand that statement.  I’ve consumed my fair share of the devil’s liquid in my day.  I’ve had my share of the morning-after-misery to prove it.   

But these days, a cocktail of any sort is a rarity.  But, oh how I love having a good cocktail with my ladies.  Here is what I know, I have never been much of a beer drinker, still to this day.  I’ve tried ‘em all.  Lagers, ales, light, dark, malts, flavored, you name it.  And I can’t locate the taste buds for wine, of any flavor.  Whites, reds, ports, they all make me gag.  Not into foo-foo girly drinks with cute umbrellas. Double gag! 

But…….  Somewhere in a world far far away…. I have started a love affair with tequila.  Weird?  Yes.  Odd choice?  You betcha.  A bit dramatic? Absolutely!  But its true.  Now, don’t get carried away with the thoughts that some how I’m sitting around tossing back shots with a bit of salt and lime.  Just ain’t gonna happen.  I think that in itself might make me gag.  

I’ve really become accustom to the deliciousness of a great margarita.  I self admittedly profess that I’m a Margarita snob.  I’ll send a yucky one right back to the bartender for a redo with out a second thought.  And I can taste “cheap” tequila in a flash. 

I want a fresh, stand on your tip toes, limey margarita.

So here’s my perfect, and I do mean perfect, margarita. 

2008-07-23-margarita_250withborder.jpg

For one drink
1 1/2 oz. tequila (100% agave)
1 1/2 oz. triple sec or Cointreau
1 to 1 1/4 oz. of lime juice
Salt for the rim of the glass(optional)

Shake all the ingredients with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker until the exterior frosts. Strain into a glass over rocks, or "up" into a cocktail glass. A slice of lime as a garnish, while not strictly necessary, is a civilized touch.

So in honor of Cinco de Mayo, ENJOY!

Cheers from The Farm

No comments: