Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Who needs sleep

I was/am a person who loves SLEEP.

Yup, I am one of those people that could sleep until noon on a Sunday and still go to bed at 9 that night. I've always needed my nine hours. If not, I admit, I am a flaming red-haired, snarly, grouchy, not-at-all nice growly Bitch. (Take notice of the capital B) Medusa's got nothin on me. 

So the thought of being a sleep deprived momma just about sent me over the edge. (Growly Bitch came to mind)  Sleepless nights. Uninterrupted sleep. Big bags under the eyes.  (Again,I could relate myself to Medusa.)  Jesus, shoot me now!

However I survived. As did all the members of my family, big and small alike. Ironically I found I didn't actually NEED as much sleep as I thought. Well I do, but I am a much more well adjusted growly bitch now. But when Lil'Dude was born, so was my superwoman power of extreme hearing. I now hear everything that goes bump in the night inside my house, and out.  Every creak. Every branch bending. Every car that passes. Everything. 

We have been blessed with very few sleepless nights with our now 7 1/2 year old Lil'Dude. He was always a good sleeper. Even with the pukes from time to time. He hardly ever gets up. And if he does, it's almost always a quick up and down. 

It's funny how time changes these up and downs. 

As a babe, it was "cry cry please feed me and give me clean britches then a little snuggle lovin' and I'll go right back to sleep. But don't get comfy, cuz I'm gonna want this routine again in a couple hours. Just sayin."  Insert zombie momma here. 

As a toddler, it was "momma, I need to potty."  Dude get up and go already!  "Ok babe, lets go, then lets snuggle a minute and back to sleep you go."  Or "momma, I'm thirst."  Really? It's 3 in the morning. "Ok babe, I'm coming. Quick drink. And then potty, and a snuggle, then back to sleep."

At 4-6 years old, it was snore snore "MOM! MOOOOMMMM! I need a DRRRIINNKKK!"  Excuse me!  Who the hell do you think your barking at like that at 3 in the morning?  Because I know it sure as shit isn't the woman that gave you LIFE!  "Well then get up, And get the cup next to your bed."  Sometimes it's was even the "mom. Momm are you awake?  Moooommmm." Little finger poking me in the face. "I am now buddy."  "Momma I need to go to the bathroom". Why didn't you go in that bathroom of yours that you passed on your way upstairs to my room to wake me up and tell you had to pee!  "Ok. Lets go." Growl. 

So last night, at the ripe old age of 7 1/2 years old, this is what I hear. "grumble gag grumble snort" The scraping of the stool from the island to the counter where the cabinet that holds the glasses is.  Clang and bang of the cabinet being slammed shut, at 3 in the morning mind you. And the sound of the ice maker shuffling ice around and then the splursh of water into his glass.  "glubb glubb. Ahhhhh"  Then the refreshing sound of putter pats of Lil'Dude going back to his bed without my help.  Granted I was semi coherent because I heard him get up, but I was no where near awake. And I didn't have to get my happy ass out of bed at 3 in the morning. And I'm bat-shit crazy happy over that!

VICTORY!!!  Houston, we have independence lift off!!!  (Wiggling my ass while doing the superwoman-mom happy dance)

On the flip side of this oh so momentous victory, I admit I'm a little sad. He growing up. Independent. Soon he will be asking for the car keys. SHIT!  And bringing girls home.  Oh hell no!  

Here's to wishing for many more sleep filled nights but knowing my sleepless night won't be over until he moves out of our house and gets married!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH.MY LORD this is hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sharing it on Moms Just being!! Seriously you hit it SO spot on mama!!