Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Room with a purpose

Those that know me best know I love change. It generally drives Craig, well, silly. I love our house. I think its absolutely perfect. It 100% our family. We wanted family friendly. Easy living. Comfortable. Home.

We've been in the (completed) house 5 1/2 years now. And to this day, there are two rooms that absolutely drive me Nutty. One being the dining room,which I just can't make work. Second is the funky room off the kitchen, aka the breakfast nook.
I had this beautiful plan of putting a small table and a couple interesting chairs out there. It would be a place to sit, drink coffee (which neither of us drink), have breakfast, gather ourselves for the day ahead. Wow. That couldn't be farther from the reality of us or the use of that funky space. Now. My darling husband tells a nasty story of having a conversation regarding that room, during construction, and turning it into our utility/laundry area. I recall no such conversation. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

So over the past couple years, this funky room, has become a kingdom of chaos. A little this, a lot of that, and no real organization. So, about a year ago, I started plotting the death of this funk! How can I get it/us organized in a way that truly WORKS! And one major dilema is the size of this funky space. It's a meer 9'0'' x 7'0". Tiny!
So TA-DA!! Same old room, but now a room with a purpose.

One wall of shelving. Floor to ceiling. It holds all of my bake ware, mixing bowls, canisters, etc. Neat cubbies to create an organized and purposeful location for all things cooking related.

This is the North wall, it overlooks our lawn. The left side shelving is storage for all of my baking needs. Spices, sanding sugars, food colorings, imported vanilla, and the basics of flour and sugar. The lower units create storage for large kitchen items, like my stand mixer, food saver, food processor, etc.

The right side of the North window and entire East wall is dedicated to the home office area. Cook book, gardening magazines, Martha Stewart and Better Homes and Gardens take up most of upper shelving. The lower areas in this sections are for day to day snacks, chips, lunch goodies, etc. I also created one cubby in this section for my make-shift tool box, and things I'm always in search of. The lab top computer and printer make it easy to get some work done in this sunny morning spot.
This room went from chaos to chic. Organized. Warm. And finally inviting. I actually enjoy spending time out in this area now.
Craig built all of these units himself.
Isn't he WONDERFUL!!!
I thank God everyday that I married such a wonderful man, and that he is so talented. He took some pretty raw drawings/doodles that I had come up with. And turned them into this wonderful space.
Thanks Honey! Your the best husband anyone could ask for!
Hugs,
-M

No comments: