Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oh Food! Bourbon Salmon

Here is the low down on night one of the Healthy Eating Dinners.

On the menu is Bourbon Salmon, green beans, salad.

The Bourbon Salmon is a modification of my favorite Lone Star “Sweet Bourbon Salmon.” 

Here’s what you need:

1 head of Romaine or salad greens

2-3 4oz Salmon fillets

4-6 ounces of pineapple juice (I used 2 Tbsp of honey instead, I didn’t have pineapple juice in the pantry.  Pineapple has a nice tang, good compliment to the recipe.)

1/4 cup of bourbon  (I use Jack.  And a bit more.  I don’t like to drink it, but I sure like the zing it provides in the recipe.)

2 Tbsp brown sugar

2-3 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup olive oil (I like vegetable oil better.  I think olive oil has too much flavor for this particular marinade.)

Pepper & garlic (powder or minced, your choice.  Little bit of each, to your taste.) 

I add a dash or two of onion powder.  That’s just me, and I like it that way.  Add if you like, don’t if you don’t.

Ok so, here’s how it goes.  Combine all ingredients except for salmon into a bowl or zip-lock bag.  Mix well.  Reserve some of the marinade for applying while grilling.  Once well combined, add salmon fillets.  I recommend soakin’-up-the-marinade-lovin’ for about 2-3 hours.  But because salmon is such a lovely fishy, it looovvess marinade and soaks it up well, so you can rush it and apply all of it while grilling.  Grill on medium heat.  The sugars can burn, so watch it carefully.  It takes about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on your “doneness” preference.

DSCN1580DSCN1582DSCN1585

DSCN1581

 

 

Home grown.  Home canned.

From my garden, green beans.

Yummo!!

 

 

DSCN1587

 

Dinner is served.

Salad, green beans, and Bourbon Salmon

Healthy.  Quick.

Fresh.

 

It is sooooo delicious. 

Ok. So.  I have a confession.  I haven’t made it by the recipe in quite some time.  Usually it is a “gurgle of this” and a “dash of that” and a “shakey shake of this” and a “glug of that.”  Take it.  Modify it.  Make it your own.

As a side note, or hint, or another option or add on to the recipe list it would be try a bit of red pepper flake.   A little “heat” is a great touch to this recipe.

Hope you enjoy it.  Let me know what you think of it, if you try it.

Love and yummy eats from The Farm

No comments: